Hot Cross Buns Ingredients:
- 2 cups white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- ½ cup of warm water
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 and a ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 2/3 cup raisins, currants, or golden raisins (or a mix)
- Finely grated zest of half an orange
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 3 and a ½ tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 3 and a ½ tablespoons butter
- Combine water, milk, yeast, salt, sugar and both types of flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the egg and butter and mix until becomes a sticky dough.
- Add the dried fruit, orange zest, and spices and knead until silky and smooth. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubles in size.
- Deflate the risen dough and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape into rounds and dust with flour. Place on a floured board, cover with plastic wrap or cloth and let proof for about 30 minutes until roughly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. To make the crosses, whisk together flour and water until smooth, then transfer to a pastry bag and snip off the end to make a fine hole (or use a plastic food bag with a corner snipped off). Transfer the risen buns to a baking sheet and pipe a cross on top of each one, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt jam and water in a pan. Brush over the buns to glaze as you take them from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve hot, cross, or toasted.
Pickled Fish Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400g - 500g hake, kabeljou or any other firm white fish available
- 2t (10ml) Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2T (30ml) flour
- Canola oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced into rings
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) cider or white wine vinegar
- 1t (5ml) turmeric
- 1t (5ml) Seasoned Sea Salt
- 1 x 200ml Yogurt with 1T curry mix
- Fresh coriander
- Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces and season with salt. Heat oil in a frying pan, coat the fish in flour and fry for about ten minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- Combine the onions, vinegar, water, turmeric
- Place cooked fish in a deep casserole or large jar and pour the sauce over.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours. Serve with curried yogurt and fresh coriander.
- Or, for those with a sweet tooth, try the pickled fish on top of some delicious hot cross buns.
Thanks for viewing our recipes!
Enjoy 50 free spins to keep you busy whilst making them
How to get your bonus: Go to the Casino's Coupon section and enter the coupon code RECIPES-50 and voila, the bonus is yours to enjoy! Featured game: Bubble Bubble. Valid until 07 April 2018. General Thunderbolt Terms & Conditions apply.